CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

7/15/08

GET OUTTA' HERE

If you follow this blog or my personal site, you know that I spent last week leading worship for youth camp in Pennsylvania.

I usually do five-to-ten travel dates each year leading worship. Usually, my "gigs" are smaller...dNow weekends or retreats. But last week I got to do a whole week of worship leading, which was really fun. I missed my family like crazy, but I had a blast playing with some great musicians in front of a group of kids that really had their heads on straight with regard to worship.

Just a couple of weeks before camp, somebody had asked me about travelling...they wanted to know what travelling "did" for me. What did I get out of going off and leading these things?

Since I don't travel very much, it was hard to think of an answer right off. I'm sure if I was on the road more, I'd see lots of benefits on a regular basis. But after thinking for awhile, I realized what travelling does...


It makes me better.

Everytime I come home from an event to lead worship at my church or at something more local, here's what I notice about my leading.

1. More Confidence
Every time I return, I feel like I approach worship with such a better attitude. I feel more confident about worship - not in anything I'm doing, but rather in worship itself. It's as if by immersing myself in a more dedicated way, I start to see all of the wonders of gathering as God's children to give Him praise. I find that I approach worship at home with more expectancy and more focus.
2. More Creativity
Leading worship over an extended period of time typically improves my skill level. I sing stronger, I'm much more comfortable on my guitar and I'm more at home in the songs, which frees me up to watch and listen to the crowd...which in turn, provides me the chance to be creative with the songs and sets...which in turn makes me a better worship pastor!

3. More Control
When I return home from a gig, I feel much more aware of worship. Because I've spent so much time at the "event," thinking, planning, praying, practicing, I come to "home worship" with a much better sense of purpose and control over what I'm bringing to the table.

So, here's my recommendation to all of my fellow worship leaders:



GET SOME GIGS!

Okay, maybe "gigs" isn't the best phrase for it, but I do think that there's some real value when we get out of our comfort zones and stretch ourselves musically and spiritually.

If you're interested in "Getting Out There" to lead worship as a guest, but don't really know how to make that happen, here are a couple of ideas that might help.

1. Associations - Chances are your church is in some sort of "association." This could be denominational or regional. Even if you're a part of a non-denominational church, chances are your church is still affiliated in some way. Typically, these like-minded fellowships are great places to get out of our comfort zones and take a shot at leading for folks we may not even know! Check with your pastor or youth pastor to learn more about regional meetings that might need some worship. You probably will get paid with a free hot-dog supper, but it's still a great (and pretty easy) way to road-test your chops.

2. Other Folks - Another great way of leading worship out in your community is to use your own connections. Maybe you have lunch with another worship leader in town once-a-month...what a great opportunity to plan something for both your praise teams to do! Maybe your church regularly brings in guest worship leaders from nearby...learn from those guys! Ask them how they got started.

3. Be A Partner
- When you get a gig, the absolute smartest thing you can do is to get very involved in the event as soon as possible. Nabbing the gig and then not speaking with the event planners until the day before you play is pretty dangerous. Rather than adopt an attitude of "WE'RE THE BAND..." come at it like you would at your church. You're a part of a team that wants to do ministry - stay in dialogue with the folks bringing you in...get a clear picture of what they want and need for their event.

I know very few worship leaders who are out to get rich and famous. 99% of the leaders I know want to use their gifts to bring glory to God and to support the work of the church. Don't be afraid of pursuing these little experiments in worship leading - we learn a ton from them!

0 comments: