CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

11/5/08

One of the best parts about being a worship leader is spending time with students/young adults who share that same calling. Most of us (30's and above) probably remember being young and interested in worship and having few, if any, mentors in worship.

When I was 15 years old, the worship movement was just starting to hit my little hometown and my church was a
long way from joining the revolution. That's why I love hanging out with young worship leaders now. I am encouraged by their passion for worship and I get to share what little knowledge I have with them.

Lately, though, I've been noticing the absence of a critical component in my worship discussions with young leaders – PRAYER.


We have a whole generation of young worship leaders that now have access to resources (DVDs, CD, web YouTube tutorials, etc.) and yet still lack when it comes to prayer. And I'm not talking about the short, but sincere prayers we throw up to the sky just before rehearsals or before church on Sunday. (Although those are good, too.)

Lately, I've been encouraging young worship leaders to spend time, on their own, praying for the "x-factor." They look at me weird when I say things like this. But that's okay…because now I have their attention!


What am I talking about when I say "the x-factor?" I'm not quite sure. (Hence the name.)

But I think it's that special thing, that mysterious connection that happens between a worship leader and a congregation. Some call it the "anointing" or a "real gift," and maybe those are better words for it. I'm not sure.
I just know that from time-to-time I sit under a worship leader who has something going for him or her that's more than training; more than study; more than experience.

It's this unnamed
something that draws me in to what they are doing. I pray for that something…I pray that God will somehow, in His power and grace, allow me to "connect" with my crowd in a way that's different; in a way that's real and honest and filled with his power.

I want young worship leaders to hear me pray those types of prayers – to know that, in the end, it's God who empowers us to even breathe a breath or voice a song. I want those who watch me lead or serve alongside me to know that I'm always have that "X-factor," desperate for God to ignite worship in a way that only he can.


Thoughts on the "X-Factor?" What about young worship leaders? What do you try to share with those your mentoring?

1 comments:

Artie said...

I just wish one would show up..