CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

8/27/08

"HEALER"

Many in the worship world were shocked last week when news broke of Mike Guglielmucci's 2-year deception regarding his illness and it's role in the history of his worship song, "Healer."

Now, information is being released that Guglielmucci has long suffered from sexual addiction and what seems to be some sort of psychosomatic difficulty. While the "why" still remains to be seen, moments like these are always great times for analysis and reflection for those of who are called to serve with songs, prayers, scriptures in the atmosphere of the corporate adoration of God Almighty.

In fact, I think there are a couple of key things that we can learn from this situation. It would be better for me to say "there are things I AM LEARNING from this situation" as it has rolled around in my head.

1. THIS IS LAME


I first found out about this through Ragamuffin Soul and I have to say that I was surprised at the initial responses. As I scrolled down, I fully expected to see lots of frustration...more "Holy cow!" or "Oh no!" Instead, I saw a majority of "This guy needs grace and forgiveness." While that is completely true, I was bothered by the lack of rage I saw. Of course, that doesn't mean that nobody felt rage, just that no one was commenting it.

But I believe it's important that people who care about worship take a moment to call "foul" on this one. This is deception on a global scale. This lie (and the work that went into maintaining it) has brought shame and hurt to multiple churches and quite a few music executives who gave this song a chance. This song, birthed in the Planetshakers movement, became an anthem for a generation of believers...and while the song remains the same, there are countless followers of God

2. THIS IS MARKETING

The most damaging thing about this song, this story, this lie...is that it shames a lot of us. I understand that a story like Guglielmucci's is a powerful one. And I don't blame Hillsong or the Integrity people for sharing it. But every song has a back-story and churches, ministries, labels, etc., have to make choices as to which back story they're going to promote. They'd be fools not to share this story...the blame is on me.

I'm better than this - I'm smarter than this - and so are all of you. You see, "Healer" suckered me, too. You know why? Because it was the story that got me. Yes, the song is good, but if I'm being honest, I'll tell you that for me, the song's biggest strength was it's emotionalism. This song was bounced off heartstrings to the top of the heap. And I don't think that's ever a good thing.

Yeah, emotions are a part of our worship. God built them into us and they do respond when we adore Him. But when we connect to things on an emotional level (which does happen,) we've got to be sure to take some time to also use our heads. Emotions are not static. They wane. And when we're connected to something built to honor a God who is forever, our connection needs to be steady as well and not victims to the whims of circumstance.

3. THIS IS IMPORTANT


We should be glad that "Healer" is, in fact, a good song. It says things that are true and right. These lyrics line up with scripture. They do not, in my opinion, present an unbalanced view of God's purposes or His provision. But can you imagine if they did?

What if "Healer" was a horrible song? What if the tune had shoddy theology and declared things that were detrimental to the faith and we missed it because of a guy's cancer story?

That's why we talk about these things. That's we take a moment to slap ourselves and get our heart and heads straightened out again. I'm surprised I'm not seeing more discussion about this song on worship-related blogs. Stuff like this matters...to those who lead worship and to those who don't.

Some questions...

1. Have you heard the song? What were your initial thoughts?
2. Think this revelation will hurt the song's success?
3. If the song still prospers, what are your thoughts on royalties? If the song survives, Gugglielmucci is bound to receive some pretty nice financial rewards from it? Does that make it better or worse?

6 comments:

Robert Conn said...

Personally Todd this is far from over. It truly depends on how this guy reacts from here on out as to how people will view him, the song, the whole scam, everything!

Scott said...

OK here is a question , How many youth pastors or for that matter pastors , have stretched the truth to make a point. I am in no way defending what he did , nor am i accusing ministers of lying , but when havent we done the same (maybe not to that magnitude) A lie is a lie no matter what. I totally agree w/ you Todd ,as this should provoke our own self examination.

DWC said...

1. Have you heard the song? What were your initial thoughts?

I have not heard the song ... looking for it now

2. Think this revelation will hurt the song's success?

I think that now there are ALOT of people like me that will listen to it just to see what it is about ... so it could HELP it ... I also think that people that have already bought it will stop listenting to it .. but hey who cares that already have your $$$$, right ?

3. If the song still prospers, what are your thoughts on royalties? If the song survives, Gugglielmucci is bound to receive some pretty nice financial rewards from it? Does that make it better or worse?

As sad as it may seem, when it comes to $$$$ most folks think that the END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS ...

This is probably not over ... stay tuned

DWC

Josh said...

in my opinion those that commented with "oh poor guy, he needs grace" are the ones who have not been affected by the song as much...and the ones who probably have, and have had some rage against Mike G., would probably not post it publicly but instead choose the silent route.

When I heard the song and saw the preface videos, I wasn't too impressed...I guess my personality doesn't allow for too much emotion to take me over.

Johnny! said...

1. Have you heard the song? What were your initial thoughts?
I heard it when you posted the youtube video. I wasn't impressed by the song, but was touched that it was being sung by a guy with a breathing tube. My next thought was, "They're really milking that breathing tube." I didn't post anything because thinking that made me feel like a jerk.

2. Think this revelation will hurt the song's success?
Yes. It was successful because of hype, and it will fade away because of hype. Which is okay; it's not important to sing that song.

3. If the song still prospers, what are your thoughts on royalties? If the song survives, Gugglielmucci is bound to receive some pretty nice financial rewards from it? Does that make it better or worse?
He's entitled to royalties for his song. Money isn't going to help him with his problems (it hasn't been).

Artie said...

I read your blog when you posted it but I was at work and I don't have the ability to watch vids on my computer at work.. I wasn't drawn to the thing for some reason and didn't watch it at home.

I then saw something on CCLI talking about the song..the fawning everyone was doing over it was just not sitting well with me. I didn't feel drawn to it. I still haven't seen the video and haven't heard the song.

I guess my busy life kept that from happening.

I agree with scooter regarding the tendency to massage reality to touch a heart. Wow, is that true?..and does it lay the framework for something like this to happen? I kinda think so.

We as pastors and worship leaders really do have to examine ourselves and try to see "what am I doing?"

Do the events we set up that tend to evoke emotional responses, huge alter calls and having 47 kids brought to Christ push us harder and harder to try to touch deeper and deeper in to people's souls with more and more passionate stories?

Yeah..most people are not going to go to this extreme..but.. there are other items at play here. An addiction, guilt, self loathing from that guilt, an internalized perception of how others will perceive you if your addiction is found out, the lack of openness, loving, community and fellowship as well as....here is a word that has become meaningless but it is important here...authentic relationships.

If he were in an environment where everyone laid out their "thorns" and he was able to discuss his..much of his mental and emotional issues could have been helped long ago. Instead he lives as most of us do, in communities of niceness that has care and concern but no one is pouring out their lives for others to hear...hence no one is receiving the blessing of learning and growing from our own failings...I don't know these things to be true but I know they are common in the greater church today..every day.

I feel nothing but pain for this man. I hope that I have something that approaches the grace of Christ in this situation.

As for success of the song...I have no idea.. as far as the world at large is concerned he'll be yesterdays news pretty quick. With much of the Christian community..those with grace that like the song will buy it..those that love to hang on to OPT's (other people's thorns) they won't buy it.

I bet after all he goes through he will be a better minister for Christ than he was before.. he will have been broken and found restoration in Christ..that is my hope..and if he makes cash from the song I doubt it will go to building evil in the world..